Why ride?

Rode in the all purpose saddle, in the grass ring. Just assume all riding is being done in the grass ring, unless otherwise specified.

Rode with a mind toward conditioning, trot and canter sets, but wound up trying to get Clover to stretch out her topline over a longer frame. I'm not sure if it's more difficult because I'm riding on uneven ground, or because I ride poorly outside of lessons. Who knows, it could be both, or neither, or the fact that I ride around feeding time.

I figure, if I can get good rides over varied terrain, it should be a snap over level ground. Lots of half-halts, rebalancing, trying to keep a steady rhythm. It feels great when we trot up the slope, I can feel Clover's hind legs engage and come more underneath herself, her back rising underneath the saddle. Yeah, more riding on hills.

Why do I ride as if I'm training for something? What am I training for? It's something more than just keeping Clover fit. Not sure what at this point. I suppose I'm getting to a more riding for riding's sake approach to training.

Comments

Popular Posts