Suitability, mutability

Rode both days this past weekend. Still in the middle of the suitability crisis Saturday, tried the western on Clover, it was a bit narrow in the shoulder, as usual. Slapped on the dressage saddle and headed out to the grass ring. It was breezy, so black flies weren't so much of an issue. Armed with gooey Swat and the new Cut Heal fly spray, we headed out there.

I made the focus of this ride getting Miss Clover to get her engine going and stop letting her lean on me, no more carrying her. The grass ring is a lot larger than the sand ring, and the terrain is sloped downhill, so we get bonus gentle hillwork to strengthen that hind end. We had some success, I felt better about doing dressage and thought that maybe some of our issues are just plain old being unfit. But I still think Clover's not built to flex at the poll, hence the suitability crisis.

Yesterday I went with a friend to groom for her at Wentworth, it was her pony-horse's first official outing. They did great, considering his occasional sometimes stinky/sometimes spooky attitude of late. They came in 3rd.

It's great to have a horsey pal to help motivate me to get my riding chops going. Even months after leaving the working student job, I'm still struggling with burn out-related lack of motivation. But the last couple of weekends have been gorgeous weather wise; and the laid back no pressure atmosphere of the new barn, plus my new found enjoyment of only having to pay attention to Miss Mare is helping to make me feel less foot draggy about riding. Not competing this year has also alleviated a lot of the stressy pressure I scratched from yesterday's Wentworth, not wanting to carry Clover through a training level test, and had a great day.

Comments

Popular Posts