A TON of canter work
Had a lesson at the indoor; my expectations were low, considering the difficulty I'd been having with recent rides … of course Clover goes and shows me up by being reasonably light in the bridle and in front of my leg.
We started out in a longer frame, but still connected, and gradually shortened the frame once we'd warmed up some. It worked! Clover didn't try to lug into or go above the bridle when I shortened the reins.
We rode some bending lines, lots of sitting trot, lengthenings on the long sides with sitting trot at the short sides, some shoulder fore for Clover to get her haunches straight, and A TON OF CANTER WORK.
Janet must've been taking advantage of Clover's willingness to work; we did a lot of alternating 15m circles with cantering around the whole arena. Clover carried herself to the right pretty well; riding in the sloped grass ring is bound be helping with condition and strength. Our first canter set was the best, and I had another ah ha, got the feel moment when I started to coordinate the maintaining a round forward canter aids. I'm learning to be more giving with my arms, I'm so used to holding Clover up in the canter, now I'm letting my legs push her forward. Hopefully we'll get to the point where I can just maintain it with the seat.
Clover was resistant and cranky when we worked on the left canter, stiffening her back under the saddle, tossing her head in the air. Eventually I got her on the aids enough that I could ask for the depart, but she was very heavy on the inside, I had to resort to lifting my inside hand briefly then releasing to encourage her to soften and bend more. By then we were both getting pretty tired, I was even huffing and puffing. We still need to work on a smoother down transition to the trot, Clover still wants to collapse out of the canter and get all strung out, it's hard to keep her together so she doesn't fall onto her forehand.
I was impressed with Clover, it seems when I've had a string of mediocre or flat out bad rides, and ready to give up, Clover gives me a great ride. It makes me think that she can do dressage … but the willingness isn't consistent, and I still wonder about her conformation being suitable. If I decide to go western on her, the change will have to be complete, I can't ask her to go back and forth between using herself and poking along at the jog.
We started out in a longer frame, but still connected, and gradually shortened the frame once we'd warmed up some. It worked! Clover didn't try to lug into or go above the bridle when I shortened the reins.
We rode some bending lines, lots of sitting trot, lengthenings on the long sides with sitting trot at the short sides, some shoulder fore for Clover to get her haunches straight, and A TON OF CANTER WORK.
Janet must've been taking advantage of Clover's willingness to work; we did a lot of alternating 15m circles with cantering around the whole arena. Clover carried herself to the right pretty well; riding in the sloped grass ring is bound be helping with condition and strength. Our first canter set was the best, and I had another ah ha, got the feel moment when I started to coordinate the maintaining a round forward canter aids. I'm learning to be more giving with my arms, I'm so used to holding Clover up in the canter, now I'm letting my legs push her forward. Hopefully we'll get to the point where I can just maintain it with the seat.
Clover was resistant and cranky when we worked on the left canter, stiffening her back under the saddle, tossing her head in the air. Eventually I got her on the aids enough that I could ask for the depart, but she was very heavy on the inside, I had to resort to lifting my inside hand briefly then releasing to encourage her to soften and bend more. By then we were both getting pretty tired, I was even huffing and puffing. We still need to work on a smoother down transition to the trot, Clover still wants to collapse out of the canter and get all strung out, it's hard to keep her together so she doesn't fall onto her forehand.
I was impressed with Clover, it seems when I've had a string of mediocre or flat out bad rides, and ready to give up, Clover gives me a great ride. It makes me think that she can do dressage … but the willingness isn't consistent, and I still wonder about her conformation being suitable. If I decide to go western on her, the change will have to be complete, I can't ask her to go back and forth between using herself and poking along at the jog.

Comments
Post a Comment