This year’s plan

I'm completely at ease with my decision to not compete next season. Which is not to say I'll never compete again, I may even go out at some point this season*, but I'm not feeling the pressure (internal or otherwise) to event. My plan for this year is to save money by not eventing, save my sanity by not stressing myself out preparing for and competing at events, and to channel any extra little bits of money into lessons. Lessons! I hardly took any towards the end of last season! Mainly because our schedules were so full, and also because I was burned out, from real life happenings.

I think I'll have to change my lesson day from Saturdays to some weeknight. Emma and I and our trainer sat down yesterday afternoon to draw up a tentative schedule for Clover this year, and between all the other horses and students going out this season, the weekends are nearly filled up from April to October. The plan so far is for Em and Clover to come out at the spring King Oak at BN, and move up to Novice possibly at the first GMHA in May. Other events they may do include Groton I (I really hope so!), Fitch's Corner, Senator Bell, and hey, how about Stoneleigh-Burnham for the Novice Champs? And they'd finish up at UNH. I think Em would enjoy that. She is a cool competitor, when I told her so yesterday, she told me she just thought calm, relaxed thoughts when she competes. So modest!

As for myself, I'm going to try and become a more motivated rider, and really concentrate on improving my position and timing of the aids, plus work very hard on my position and release jumping. By working on myself, I think I can help Clover improve, and work on her willingness to soften and maintain her forward energy. Now that she's almost 7 and physically mature, we're going to work on that canter, too, which will help keep her rhythmic and organized between fences. No more cross cantering in stadium! When I get my riding back in order, I would like to school Training height and figures, and really work on getting Clover confirmed first level-schooling second!

So, does anyone have any motivating advice? It's all fine and dandy for me to sit here and write about what an exciting season it's going to be, but the reality is when I get out of work in the dark on a freezing cold night I just want to get home and eat some dinner and hibernate til the snow melts and the buds (or is that bugs?) come out ...


*(That is, if the opportunity seems right to move me and Clover up to Training, but we'll see how our schooling goes ...)

Comments

Popular Posts