Senator Bell

This summer I've discovered that I much prefer being “the owner” more than actually competing. I like doing all of the peripheral work, braiding, grooming, even trucking and coaching. Now that I have working trailer lights, I enjoy trucking even more. Soon I'll even have a brake controller set up, and there'll be no stopping me then, hehe.

Emma and Clover had a great go at Senator Bell yesterday, in the Beginner Novice junior division. I trucked them and Jess and Pooh yesterday, and also coached them in the dressage warm up. Coaching makes me nervous, I have a hard time knowing just how much to say and when. Fortunately, I have an easier time coaching Em, because I know Clover so well. I just had to give them a few touch-up hints before they went into the ring for their test. They had a consistent and pleasant test, with some of the best canter work I've seen out of Clover–they wound up in first with a 32.5! It was in a big division, too. Jess was the rider behind Em, and they put in a good test for a greenie for 6th after dressage.

The weather was perfect, no rain or humidity, and a nice breeze to boot. We didn't have a lot of time between dressage and cross country, I kept my panic under control so I could whip studs into Clover and Pooh. The fumble fingers stayed under control, I think I broke a speed record for putting in studs! I missed both of the girls' cross country rounds, as I was helping Wendy get Vega ready for stadium, in their first USEA event (they completed!). I was bummed, but really amused to hear that Clover went at warp speed, and they got 8.8 speed faults for coming in 22 seconds too fast! They had no jump faults, though, but they dropped to 4th. Jess and Pooh came in right on the money, and they moved up to first place.

We had more of a break between cross country and stadium, so I whipped the tack off of the mares and sponged them with linament before putting them on the trailer to rest and munch hay. Both horses were drinking plenty of water, and recovered quickly after cross country. Soon enough, we were getting everyone ready for stadium, and we headed down to warm up only to discover that they still had another large division in front of them. Eventually they got the mares warmed up, and I was happy to see Clover perk up and take the jumps out of stride.

Jess and Pooh put in a carefully ridden clean round, with only a few time faults, and they held on to the 6th place they had been in after dressage. Em and Clover had a decent round, Clover did some sucking back before some of the fences, but they did the two stride combination very well. They only dropped one rail from the last fence on course, but it was enough to keep them out of the ribbons (like I care!!) The last fence was on a slight downhill, and many tired horses had rubs or rails down at that fence.

I was very happy that everyone had done so well, and that we had a great, if not long, day. Em and Clover head up to GMHA in two weeks, then I get back in the swing of things with the Senator Bell schooling event and UNH Novice.

Comments

Popular Posts