Not bad for a slacker

Let's see, I have been riding diligently, I have been riding horses other than Clover, I have been backing young horses, I have been riding green horses, I have been riding ruined horses, ponies actually. I ride small horses and large ponies, and they are definitely in my comfort zone. Though, smaller horses can be cattier and twist and whirl and drop a shoulder and have you off quicker than an eyeblink.

Had a jump lesson last Sunday, still working on my release of all things. I'm getting the staying off Clover's back and in 2 point between fences (running and skating have strengthened my lower body), but the release is still problematic. Either I don't release enough, or I overcompensate with my upper body. I think I'll braid a piece of white yarn in Clover's mane for T-School this Sunday. I got in the BN division, but haven't got my ride times yet.

Did some dressage work Tuesday, damn it was hot! And rode Pika last night for the second time. I took him on a hack last Sunday. I forgot what it feels like to ride a green horse: ok, this is how you follow the rein, this is how you bend, hey, keep moving forward, here's a half halt ... it was fun. Pika's a neat little horse.

Going out to do road work tonight, T-School may be Sunday, but King Oak is coming up fast, and that's what I'm really focusing on. BTW, what is up with the Novice C test?? No stretch circle at the trot? No sitting from B or E to the canter transition in the corresponding corner? Eh? I know, it's been simplfied for the legions of adult riders out there with no instructors. It's a good intro to walk/trot/canter tests.

Comments

Popular Posts