Confessions of a moonlighter
The server to my update/links page is down, so I guess I’ll have to spew here for now. Dear Diary, I've been cheating on my horse. I've been moonlighting as a quasi-pseudo-speedskater ... as usual, per my four year cycle, I've been swept up by winter games frenzy and indulging my speedskating fancies. Only this time, I've actually found a local club to skate with ...
But you’ve heard all that recently. Now I'm struggling to get myself back into horsespace. At least with the summer games, my passion for eventing pays off in actual ride time. It's hard to get motivated at this time of year, even though the days are getting noticeably longer, and it has been a mild winter. I've always struggled with motivation during the post and off season, and even during the hottest parts of the season.
So, here's a little light news: I got my review of last fall's UNH x-c ride in the Area I newsletter (it helps to know the editor), and I got a plug for the Eventers on the Web ring as well.
And I haven't totally let this winter go to waste: I've been running or skating during lunch, ostensibly to get fit for the upcoming season (I see riding greenies in my immediate future), and I've lost 5 lbs. in the past 2 weeks (down to 133, not bad at 5'6", eh?) Now, to get back to that mare of mine ...
I did ride this past weekend, a sort of pre-boot camp for Clover. She was forward, but trying to haul me around on her considerable forehand. Let's just say I had to perform several half-HALTS using my upper body somewhat behind the vertical. We did finish up nicely, with a couple of canter transitions and some free walk. Now I've got to get consistency back into my vocabulary.
But you’ve heard all that recently. Now I'm struggling to get myself back into horsespace. At least with the summer games, my passion for eventing pays off in actual ride time. It's hard to get motivated at this time of year, even though the days are getting noticeably longer, and it has been a mild winter. I've always struggled with motivation during the post and off season, and even during the hottest parts of the season.
So, here's a little light news: I got my review of last fall's UNH x-c ride in the Area I newsletter (it helps to know the editor), and I got a plug for the Eventers on the Web ring as well.
And I haven't totally let this winter go to waste: I've been running or skating during lunch, ostensibly to get fit for the upcoming season (I see riding greenies in my immediate future), and I've lost 5 lbs. in the past 2 weeks (down to 133, not bad at 5'6", eh?) Now, to get back to that mare of mine ...
I did ride this past weekend, a sort of pre-boot camp for Clover. She was forward, but trying to haul me around on her considerable forehand. Let's just say I had to perform several half-HALTS using my upper body somewhat behind the vertical. We did finish up nicely, with a couple of canter transitions and some free walk. Now I've got to get consistency back into my vocabulary.

Comments
Post a Comment