Maiden voyage

Yes, it's true. I took the new truck on her maiden voyage, hauling a fully loaded horse trailer. Other than the fact that I drove amazingly slow, and Clover's side door popped open, and I went a little too fast around corners, it went very well. We trucked over to Green Acres again, for some riding in the indoor. I had Clover and Pika on board, my trainer had her two.

The Dodge hauled like a champion, and even without electric trailer brakes I had no trouble braking and stopping. I did have my difficulties backing up ... I understand the theory behind backing a trailer, but in practice it's much harder than it seems. I'm despairing of ever figuring out how to do it smoothly and efficiently. 56 point turns. 'nuff said.

Clover went well, considering I hadn't ridden her in a week. I took it easy on her, just basic walk/trot/canter get her out in front of my leg. The canter felt great, at least in terms of her pushing from her hind end. I was able to let her motor along on her own power, instead of having to push her every step.

We worked on some leg yields at the walk and trot. I think my aids are getting better, even everything is just right, it works! But usually I'm off and Clover leads with her shoulder or bends her neck.

I was happy with the work I got out of her, so I quit where I was and didn't go on to jump. She (and I) are out of shape, and I want to build her up with consistency, riding even just a little bit several days a week if weather permits. I still worry about EPSM and tying-up, but my trainer reassured me that if Clover hasn't had problems by now, I shouldn't be worrying about it so much. Still, I don't want to ride her into the ground if I'm only getting on her once or twice a week.

Comments

Popular Posts