It’s almost official
... but for the paper signing. Emma is going to be half leasing Clover for the summer! Emma and her Mom both told me yesterday that they are interested in the lease. This is a classic win-win situation, because it gives me a break on board and bills, Clover gets a lot of conditioning, Emma gets to go sanctioned and I get to focus on the few Novice events on my slate. Everyone seems excited, and I'm relieved. It's been tough with a new house and truck ...
Meanwhile, we're having a freakish early thaw, and the ring has been completely open for the past few days. I was still tired yesterday from haying the day before, so Jess rode Clover and went on a hack with Emma and Pica. I'd ridden earlier this week, but never got around to writing about it. The main point of that ride was feeling both of Clover's hind legs evenly loaded, after doing some leg yielding at the walk. I could feel her outside hind leg, the left leg, come up underneath her for a couple of strides. What a great feeling--a good reminder of what I should be getting out of Clover. We finished up by moving away from my leg aids, and once I focused on weighting my seatbones correctly and cueing her with my lower leg at the right moment, it was easy. Another reminder of how difficult I make it for myself--how much I fight myself.
But, in my defense, I have to say that I've been to the gym everyday during lunch, running. I'm determined to be fit for riding, for this summer and beyond. I've drastically cut down on what I eat, and I've been doing push ups and sit ups as well. It's a start. I'll also be skating a couple of days a week until the rink closes for the summer--and even then I may be able to keep skating in Dover. We'll see how much time and energy I have.
Meanwhile, we're having a freakish early thaw, and the ring has been completely open for the past few days. I was still tired yesterday from haying the day before, so Jess rode Clover and went on a hack with Emma and Pica. I'd ridden earlier this week, but never got around to writing about it. The main point of that ride was feeling both of Clover's hind legs evenly loaded, after doing some leg yielding at the walk. I could feel her outside hind leg, the left leg, come up underneath her for a couple of strides. What a great feeling--a good reminder of what I should be getting out of Clover. We finished up by moving away from my leg aids, and once I focused on weighting my seatbones correctly and cueing her with my lower leg at the right moment, it was easy. Another reminder of how difficult I make it for myself--how much I fight myself.
But, in my defense, I have to say that I've been to the gym everyday during lunch, running. I'm determined to be fit for riding, for this summer and beyond. I've drastically cut down on what I eat, and I've been doing push ups and sit ups as well. It's a start. I'll also be skating a couple of days a week until the rink closes for the summer--and even then I may be able to keep skating in Dover. We'll see how much time and energy I have.

Comments
Post a Comment