New truck

Let's see how this entry goes, first thing in the morning, all tanked up on coffee … Guess what? We got a new truck! For towing! And driving in the snow! And farm work!
It's a Dodge Ram, the Laramie (like the cigarettes in the Simpsons) 1500 SLT V8. Which means it can easily haul a loaded 2 horse bumper pull.
So, yea, I've been riding more. Saturday I got on and did a little flat work, in between bucks and crop hops. Clover was being a pill, though my trainer maintained that she was feeling really good. Riiiiight. I was concerned with preventing any more aerial maneuvers, but my trainer wanted me to channel Clover's overabundance of energy into good, forward work. I'll have to work on that more, using that kind of energy when it comes.
On Sunday, we trailered over to Green Acres, where Dawn had just added shredded rubber to the footing. Unfortunately, I was dealing with a stomach bug, so Erin rode Clover in a semi-private with Wen, Em and Emma. The horses moved wonderfully on the springier footing. Vega especially showed a lot of suspension in her ground covering trot and canter work. My trainer was so impressed with the footing that she plans on shipping us over periodically through the winter.
Last night, I got on (after picking up the truck!) Clover and we had an informal lesson, just walk and trot work on the new layer of snow. With snowball pads and borium studded shoes on Clover's front feet, it was great. I've been letting Clover poke her nose out in front of her, trying to work her from behind and not get her all rolled up in front. And work on my position (eyes up! hands together in front of the withers!) She's quite a bit out of shape, so it's going to be a slow process to keep her going/get her started again throughout the winter, especially depending on the weather and footing. But it feels good to get out there and being doing a lot more than I did last year at this time (all that ice). And Clover's been offering to soften in the jaw and come though nicely at times.
Right. Off to work now …

Comments
Post a Comment