Jump lesson at Green Acres

We trailered Clover and my trainer's horse over to Green Acres for another session in the rubber-footed (huh?) indoor. This session was remarkable, because it was the first time Clover and I have done any sort of jumping since UNH horse trials last October. That sounds so long ago, but it's only been three months. Right?

We didn't do anything too strenuous, trotting over ground poles, then over a single x-rail, and added a second x-rail 4 strides after. Clover remembered how to jump with no problem, she had plenty of her own energy, and eventually we began cantering to and out of the second x-rail. A third x-rail was added to the exercise, along with a vertical as the fourth element. The only real difficulty I had was getting heavy on the left rein--Clover would lean against it, so I wound up doing a lot of half-halts to almost walk for one stride, then resume trotting along. Emma, who rode Clover during the second half hour session, had no trouble at all with Clover being heavy in either rein, so I know for a fact that it's generated by me.

We finished up with a two stride in and out set at a 90 degree angle, this time at 2'4 to 2'6" or so verticals. We negotiated them with no problem, though I got a reminder to turn with my whole torso, especially at the hip, not just my head and eyes.

Emma got on for another 1/2 hour and had a great ride, save for the crop hops Clover started to throw after landing a jump. I thought she was getting tired, but it turned out that she had to pee really bad! As soon as Emma dismounted, Clover let loose with a waterfall (peefall?) Haha--TMI!

Comments

Popular Posts