Where the sun don’t shine
I guess I'm not riding Clover in the clinic tomorrow. I brought her up to groom for a ride, and as I worked my way around her, I got to her hind end, and was starting to groom between her legs when I pulled her tail aside and saw that her anus and vulva were grotesquely swollen. I dropped everything and immediately began cold hosing the area.
My first thought was the Oliver, the gelding who has mounted and bred mares in the past, tried to have his way with Clover, but got into the wrong orifice. Then I worried that she had internal tears or other damage, and worried more that she got herniated somehow, and the swelling I was looking at was actually misplaced intestines. Knee-jerk reaction I know, but you had to see it to believe it.
Finally we pieced together that Oliver must have attempted to mount Clover, but she wheeled around and started kicking him (he had several good kick marks on him, but was relatively unharmed and sound), and he retaliated by spinning and kicking her back—unfortunately on the point of her left buttock, and the soft tissue nearby. There is quite a good bit of swelling on the point of the buttock as well. It does not seem that Oliver penetrated any of Clover's, ah, areas at all.
We gave her IM banamine and gentomycin for pain and infection prevention, followed up with 2 grams bute orally and mineral ice on the point of the buttock. Clover seems to be pooping and peeing without difficulty and discomfort, but she'll stay in the big barn for a couple of days for treatment—lots of cold hosing and hand grazing. ARGH. My trainer has convinced me to take Matti in Clover's place. I have no interest in going, I'm pretty disheartened, but $200's already spent.
My first thought was the Oliver, the gelding who has mounted and bred mares in the past, tried to have his way with Clover, but got into the wrong orifice. Then I worried that she had internal tears or other damage, and worried more that she got herniated somehow, and the swelling I was looking at was actually misplaced intestines. Knee-jerk reaction I know, but you had to see it to believe it.
Finally we pieced together that Oliver must have attempted to mount Clover, but she wheeled around and started kicking him (he had several good kick marks on him, but was relatively unharmed and sound), and he retaliated by spinning and kicking her back—unfortunately on the point of her left buttock, and the soft tissue nearby. There is quite a good bit of swelling on the point of the buttock as well. It does not seem that Oliver penetrated any of Clover's, ah, areas at all.
We gave her IM banamine and gentomycin for pain and infection prevention, followed up with 2 grams bute orally and mineral ice on the point of the buttock. Clover seems to be pooping and peeing without difficulty and discomfort, but she'll stay in the big barn for a couple of days for treatment—lots of cold hosing and hand grazing. ARGH. My trainer has convinced me to take Matti in Clover's place. I have no interest in going, I'm pretty disheartened, but $200's already spent.

Comments
Post a Comment