Walk issue solved

My hunch was right--our walk problems are a training issue, not a saddle fit or health issue. Because I no longer allow Clover to pull my hands all over the place when she tries to resist, she's gone in the opposite direction and gone behind the bit. I have to keep her going forward on the contact, but I have to find the right way to ask, otherwise, she jigs or breaks into the trot when I ask her to walk forward and quit being behind the bit and shortening up her stride.

That means I have a new challenge to work on. Our dressage may not be perfect for Huntington next weekend, but I'll still work on dealing with this new training issue up until then--and beyond.

We went out for a conditioning trot last night--I wanted to take the loop that goes back to Province Rd at a road trot, but I forgot where the outlet for the loop was. So I'm walking Clover up and down the main trail leading to the sandpit, down walk experimentation all the while. Walk forward on a loose rein, walk forward on a long rein, gather up the reins and wind up with the short-strided walk. Repeat. When I school tomorrow, I'll have to remember to keep the leg on and keep Clover moving forward, try to prevent the behind the bittedness--it's a tricky balancing act.

Anyways, finally found the loop trail, cantered up the steep hill (excellent for conditioning and muscle building), made off at a trot along the trail. Had to walk in some rocky places. Realized that I didn't want to go to the road with my dog Ozzy along for the ride, so I cut left and headed down a seldom used trail back to the main sandpit trail. Road trotted back to the bridge, and alternated walking and trotting for a bit on the way back home before cooling out the rest of the way back.

I had my trainer check out Clover's walk with me up when we got back. She said that Clover's fine, it's just a training phase and I needed to keep her forward in the walk.

Comments

Popular Posts