Some sort of phase
I got my ride times for Huntington! Dressage at 10:24 am and x-c at 12:18. Stadium starts at 1. Also, I got stabling up there for Sat. night. I'm so excited ...
But also very worried. It seems like I've hit some sort of phase with Clover in our flat work this week ... still having problems sorting out walk work with contact. I spent most of last night's ride experimenting with seat and contact and rein length, but the only time Clover felt like she was walking normally was when I threw the contact away entirely and had her walk on. The minute I tried to gather the reins, she'd go into the mincey-feeling walk ... towards the end of the ride I actually looked around underneath to where I could see her feet, and she was tracking up and even marginally over tracking at times. My trainer says I'm just not following enough with the rein--like I figured--and not to obssess about it.
The short-strided, mincey feeling carried over to the trot to a degree, but I had her go forward and it diminished. I practiced Novice A test figures again, and had some problems with the canter depart--late, almost had to run into the canter. More resistance, partly lack of good preparation for the transition. I did get a couple of good ones before quitting for the night.
When I got off, I checked the fit of the saddle on Clover, just to be sure it wasn't poor fit that was causing discomfort and the problems at the walk. Nope--it still fits like a glove.
We're planning an x-c school for the middle of next week. Finally!
But also very worried. It seems like I've hit some sort of phase with Clover in our flat work this week ... still having problems sorting out walk work with contact. I spent most of last night's ride experimenting with seat and contact and rein length, but the only time Clover felt like she was walking normally was when I threw the contact away entirely and had her walk on. The minute I tried to gather the reins, she'd go into the mincey-feeling walk ... towards the end of the ride I actually looked around underneath to where I could see her feet, and she was tracking up and even marginally over tracking at times. My trainer says I'm just not following enough with the rein--like I figured--and not to obssess about it.
The short-strided, mincey feeling carried over to the trot to a degree, but I had her go forward and it diminished. I practiced Novice A test figures again, and had some problems with the canter depart--late, almost had to run into the canter. More resistance, partly lack of good preparation for the transition. I did get a couple of good ones before quitting for the night.
When I got off, I checked the fit of the saddle on Clover, just to be sure it wasn't poor fit that was causing discomfort and the problems at the walk. Nope--it still fits like a glove.
We're planning an x-c school for the middle of next week. Finally!

Comments
Post a Comment