A neck strap to grab
Well, I had a grand time setting up some gymnastics to school. I started with 3 ground poles to a small x-rail; a placing pole to a 2' x-rail, 18' to a 3' vertical; a 2'7” vertical with flowerboxes underneath, and a cavaletti stack for a bit of width, 2'8” high.
Warm up on the flat—I got heavy with the aids, and she got heavy and difficult to turn, especially to the right. The walk issue is there but diminishing, I still have to find the correct combination of forward-but-not-jig aids. Also, I'd lose her going up the diagonal—above the bridle. We really seem to be in some kind of major adjustment phase—no going above the bridle, no going behind the vertical, not piddly-assed pacey walk. Just carry yourself and me!
I have to say on Clover's behalf that she cleared everything and left all the fences up, but ran out the second time over the x-rail to vertical combination. My fault—I was putting her to a bad spot and let her run out on the left side aids. She really overjumped the cavaletti stack, so much that I got left behind and felt like I hung on her mouth, man, do I feel bad about that.
I'd ride the ground pole to small x-rail, land on the correct lead, jump the large x-rail to vertical combination, land on the correct lead, and turn up the diagonal to the vertical with flowers, and turn towards whatever lead she landed on. I'd alternate the vertical flower jump with the cavaletti stack when going up the diagonal line.
Have to work on turning and rollbacks—the right amount of outside aids and motor, so I don't shut Clover down when using the outside aids to turn (No Clover, that means turn, not slow down and stop!)
When I try to stay with Clover and not jump ahead of her, I often wind up going to a bad spot—I know I'm subtly cueing her to drop a stride before jumping. I suppose that's part of the re-education process, guess I'm making progress by not jumping ahead. Just jump out of stride!
After schooling for a 1/2 hour or so, I took Clover on a walk break, and out to the back pasture for a bit of galloping. I took her over the railroad tie stack in the back of the field, and over the large log in the middle of the field. I find it a lot easier to stay with her when jumping out in the open—and as a result, she jumps easily out of stride. Something to carry into the stadium phase. That—and a neck strap to grab!
Warm up on the flat—I got heavy with the aids, and she got heavy and difficult to turn, especially to the right. The walk issue is there but diminishing, I still have to find the correct combination of forward-but-not-jig aids. Also, I'd lose her going up the diagonal—above the bridle. We really seem to be in some kind of major adjustment phase—no going above the bridle, no going behind the vertical, not piddly-assed pacey walk. Just carry yourself and me!
I have to say on Clover's behalf that she cleared everything and left all the fences up, but ran out the second time over the x-rail to vertical combination. My fault—I was putting her to a bad spot and let her run out on the left side aids. She really overjumped the cavaletti stack, so much that I got left behind and felt like I hung on her mouth, man, do I feel bad about that.
I'd ride the ground pole to small x-rail, land on the correct lead, jump the large x-rail to vertical combination, land on the correct lead, and turn up the diagonal to the vertical with flowers, and turn towards whatever lead she landed on. I'd alternate the vertical flower jump with the cavaletti stack when going up the diagonal line.
Have to work on turning and rollbacks—the right amount of outside aids and motor, so I don't shut Clover down when using the outside aids to turn (No Clover, that means turn, not slow down and stop!)
When I try to stay with Clover and not jump ahead of her, I often wind up going to a bad spot—I know I'm subtly cueing her to drop a stride before jumping. I suppose that's part of the re-education process, guess I'm making progress by not jumping ahead. Just jump out of stride!
After schooling for a 1/2 hour or so, I took Clover on a walk break, and out to the back pasture for a bit of galloping. I took her over the railroad tie stack in the back of the field, and over the large log in the middle of the field. I find it a lot easier to stay with her when jumping out in the open—and as a result, she jumps easily out of stride. Something to carry into the stadium phase. That—and a neck strap to grab!

Comments
Post a Comment