Progress
T-minus how many days til Huntington? Right now I'm excited, but it's tempered with anxiety. Performance anxiety. I have to try and avoid putting too much negative pressure on myself. The Groton House 2 phase a week from Saturday will be a good indicator of where I am anxiety-wise, and how much presence of mind I can maintain in the arena.
We got a place to stay for us and the horses, as we're going up the evening before. I like that idea better than getting up at 3 in the morning and hauling our tired asses there the day of.
Did I mention that I'm excited? Remind me of that fact when I'm going to pieces in the dressage warm up.
Clover is 100% better, the Dex shots did the trick, and we're going to keep her on the feed-through Tri-Hist for a week.
I gave her a good grooming, tacked up and headed down to the ring to do a light dressage school. My only goal was to prevent her from coming up against my hand. I think it's working, not allowing Clover to displace my hand, press the whip and ride forward. It happened less this time, and as usual, it definitely lessens as the ride goes on.
My trainer came down to the ring and helped me work on canter transitions and canter. I have to remember to absolutely never ever give away with my hands in the transitions, that gives Clover the opportunity to come above the bridle. It's getting easier to maintain the canter, but I have to now get Clover lighter in my hand during the canter. I was holding her up at times, it was hard. I'm so out of shape, I was cashed after the ride. But it's coming.
I said, “Man, I hope I can ride at least this well at Huntington,” and my trainer said, “If you do, I'll be happy. That's a 7 trot right there.” It felt like Clover was behind my leg at times, but that wasn't the case: “She's tracking up and moving forward, don't worry about it!”
I want to get my dressage score into the 30's and keep it there this season. Just a 39% for Huntington—knowing me and my performance anxiety, getting that score will be a big confidence boost. OK, little steps.
I got off of Clover tired, but feeling better about our progress. Tonight we're going to do some conditioning, and Sunday I have a jumping lesson scheduled. Hopefully soon we'll get an x-c school or two in, when the truck is fixed.

Comments
Post a Comment