Maintain consistent contact

I have to remember to start out and maintain consistent contact when schooling Clover. We had a much better ride than the other day—not perfect, but more reassuring in terms of my self-esteem.

I concentrated on contact and rhythm, then schooled some centerlines, circles and canter transitions, and halts. Of course, I should just pick ONE thing to work on at a time, but I have a short attention span.

I'm more aware of using a harder aid than I need to, especially with my driving and bending aids, but I'm getting better about not squeezing and nagging every stride. I'm trying to be more mindful of timing the aids correctly.

Some of the turns up the centerline were pretty good, but I need to keep Clover straight through the entire centerline. I tend to loose her shoulders left or her haunches right, or she even swings her entire body to the right if I'm not on top of it.

The circle work is ok, it feels less complicated and problematic than when I was a kid or even in the Instructor's class … it's easier for me to ride the circle “straight” rather than trying to overbend Clover to the inside.

Canter trans—getting better and more accurate, as long as I have prepared Clover for the transition and keep her properly bent. She will take the incorrect lead if I allow her to come above the bit and not be organized. The canter itself, well, I'm still having a hard time riding it smoothly. I have a hard time maintaining a soft feel that allows Clover to jump through with her hind end, and stretch through her topline. It's getting better, but not there yet.

As of this weekend, I have officially started worrying about the dressage phase of Huntington. Ha ha. Just about a month away, and I'm starting to get nervous. Got to switch off that mode of thinking, and start visualizing a smooth, flowing test.

Comments

Popular Posts