Drilled and tapped
Troy came today and completely reshod Clover. I was a little surprised that the shoes couldn't have been reset (these were the first set of shoes put on since I'd had her shoes pulled in mid-fall last year), but the fronts were pretty worn, and he didn't want to reset the hinds with new fronts. So, new shoes all around--tapped for studs, natch!
He wasn't as concerned this time about the left front hoof's slight flaring out on the inside wall--Clover's way of going has improved since recovering from her shoulder strain, and Troy's corrective trimming and shoeing have done their magic. Otherwise, no news is good news. Clover got the night off to break in her new shoes. No temperature, no snots, either.
*
I longed my friend's young Trakhener cross again, in bridle and side reins (I'm working him for her while she's on vacation). He tends to get behind the whip--meaning he doesn't go as freely forward as he ought. He needs a lot of constant encouraging to stay forward--which is the only way he'll stretch through his topline, when he gets his hind end underneath himself and working. Otherwise, he tends to be a stargazer.
He only was disobedient when I asked for an up canter transition to the right. He's reluctant to stretch out his left side and step under with his right hind in the strike off. He bucked and whirled around to face me, backed up, then tried going in the opposite direction when I tried correcting him. I got him straightened out and going to the right again, and worked on trot-canter transitions until he gave me some well-behaved ones. I cooled him down by unfastening the side reins and letting him walk--and he walked with his head and neck stretched out, he even poked his nose toward the ground a few times!
He wasn't as concerned this time about the left front hoof's slight flaring out on the inside wall--Clover's way of going has improved since recovering from her shoulder strain, and Troy's corrective trimming and shoeing have done their magic. Otherwise, no news is good news. Clover got the night off to break in her new shoes. No temperature, no snots, either.
*
I longed my friend's young Trakhener cross again, in bridle and side reins (I'm working him for her while she's on vacation). He tends to get behind the whip--meaning he doesn't go as freely forward as he ought. He needs a lot of constant encouraging to stay forward--which is the only way he'll stretch through his topline, when he gets his hind end underneath himself and working. Otherwise, he tends to be a stargazer.
He only was disobedient when I asked for an up canter transition to the right. He's reluctant to stretch out his left side and step under with his right hind in the strike off. He bucked and whirled around to face me, backed up, then tried going in the opposite direction when I tried correcting him. I got him straightened out and going to the right again, and worked on trot-canter transitions until he gave me some well-behaved ones. I cooled him down by unfastening the side reins and letting him walk--and he walked with his head and neck stretched out, he even poked his nose toward the ground a few times!

Comments
Post a Comment