Back pasture ride
Well, I don't think I have to worry about EPSM quite yet. I took Clover out in the back pasture and strung together a mini course using all 5 fences out there. It actually makes a pretty good practice for stringing fences together, because the fences are spread out from one end of the field to the other, and there are some good turning to fence approach questions.
I warmed up on a loose rein briefly in the sand ring, while Megan rode Bubba for the first time. Fortunately, he was a pretty good boy, and it had started raining soon after, so we headed up to the barn and I grabbed a saddle cover before heading out to the field.
I picked up contact and warmed up a bit more at the trot, doing canter transitions and finally took off down the long side of the field, coming back to trot to sort out a cross-canter. At the end, on a whim, I decided to jump the 2'6"-ish railroad tie stack. We jumped everything right out of stride, amazing how well Clover jumps when I DON'T JUMP AHEAD!
I started stringing together the jumps, half seat to sitting 8 strides out, then half seat into a faster canter. It felt great, Clover felt great, and I was glad to be in a sport with that kind of variety. Schooling in a ring or arena 5-6 days a week gets stale.
I warmed up on a loose rein briefly in the sand ring, while Megan rode Bubba for the first time. Fortunately, he was a pretty good boy, and it had started raining soon after, so we headed up to the barn and I grabbed a saddle cover before heading out to the field.
I picked up contact and warmed up a bit more at the trot, doing canter transitions and finally took off down the long side of the field, coming back to trot to sort out a cross-canter. At the end, on a whim, I decided to jump the 2'6"-ish railroad tie stack. We jumped everything right out of stride, amazing how well Clover jumps when I DON'T JUMP AHEAD!
I started stringing together the jumps, half seat to sitting 8 strides out, then half seat into a faster canter. It felt great, Clover felt great, and I was glad to be in a sport with that kind of variety. Schooling in a ring or arena 5-6 days a week gets stale.

Comments
Post a Comment