Unexpected lesson

Had an unexpected lesson last night, did a semi with a new student who rode my trainer's schoolmaster.

The entire lesson, it felt like Clover was behind the vertical, no weight in the reins at all, and I spent a lot of the time dropping the reins and riding her forward. It couldn't have been that bad, because my trainer didn't seem too concerned about it. She chalked it up to Clover being a young horse.

We worked on alternating posting and sitting trot as long as I don't stiffen up my arms in preparation to sit, Clover accepts the sitting trot very well. And my balance has improved to the point where I can use my lower legs more effectively. When doing half-volte changes of direction, I had to finish with a couple of steps of half-pass back to the track I have to remember to change the posting diagonal before starting the aids for the half pass. We actually got some good steps. I let Clover's shoulders go, and we lose the correct bend (in the direction of travel).

We finished up with transitions to the canter from sitting trot, as well as maintaining the canter. We had some better moments again, I completely threw away the inside rein, and at times even dropped both reins. I was able to half-halt using the outside rein without Clover breaking to trot.

It was a good lesson, though I was concerned about Clover being behind the bit.

Comments

Popular Posts