Spooky and inattentive

Just sent my entry for the Groton House Farm 2-phase. We better get to work, because I signed up for the BN division: Novice A and 2'7 stadium. As usual, it's not the jumping I'm worried about, it's the dressage.

Went out to do a little road work with Margaret on Ollie. Clover is in heat, and she was spooky and inattentive, for her that is. Coiling herself up, trying to break into canter instead of the road trot I was asking for. We did a couple of intervals, then I headed back down to the newly melted-off ring and did some w/t/halt transitions to get her attention back. I spent some time working on the walk-halt transitions, keeping leg on and hands soft so she wouldn't brace her head and neck in the transition. We had some better results.

Did a couple of trot-canter transitions and I let her canter on a bit to see what would happen. We need a lot of work there, me relaxing into it so she can stretch through her topline and jump through better with her hind end. Still, she didn't break when I half-halted.

The rescheduled dressage clinic is on Sunday.

Comments

Popular Posts