Heilbron clinic
Had a great time at the clinic. I rode in the last session, so I got to watch most of the other sessions, including taping Christine and S S's session. I did a semi-private with another student from Hillside. Clover wasn't as soft and “buttery” as yesterday's lesson. I'm sure it had a lot to do with me being tight, a little nervous riding for a clinician, and with Clover being in a stall all day waiting for our turn to ride (she hates being stalled, no pun intended). But I also think that her being in heat and possibly needing another chiropractic adjustment also factored in. It felt like she wanted to twist at the withers and push her shoulders to the left.
I watched the tape of our ride, and I was surprised to see that we didn't look nearly as bad as I imagined and felt. I think that towards the end of the session, Clover had reached the limit of her attention span, which is understandable, considering she's not even 5 yet. And I had her dead to the aids, because I used too-strong of an aid whenever I asked for something, which Annemarie pointed out early on in the session. She worked with us at the trot, and pointed out that I was tight through my left side, and I needed to stretch out and not shrink up. She emphasized using the outside aids for turning, and that I [still] have a tendency to overuse the inside rein—but watching the video, I don't hang on it like I used to with Vesper! So I have a ways to go, though I have improved. I still don't keep my elbows close enough to my body, because I round my shoulders a bit.
Annemarie also mentioned keeping my shoulders level with the horse's and that I could even keep my outside shoulder back while turning (?) my trainer and I puzzled over that, because usually you keep the inside shoulder back, which brings your inside seatbone forward in turns and bending, to help tell the horse how to move. The only thing that I could think of was she told me to do that to help me get weight into my left seatbone, I have a hard time using it. Mainly because I close up my left side and grip with my knee.
We worked on some canter departs and maintaining the canter towards the end of the session. I know that Clover goes hollow in her back and inverts because I tighten up so much when asking for the transition. Annemarie had me give with the inside rein, and almost have Clover's head to the outside when cantering, to keep her straighter and more balanced, and also to allow her inside hind to come through more. But the canter felt a lot more worse than it looked on the tape. But after watching it, I think we can fix it, it doesn't seem like the insurmountable obstacle that I thought it was.
I have to remember to go easier on Clover, and know how much to expect and ask of her. I have to stop being such a hard ass. Watching the clinic tape made me feel more encouraged and hopeful, and very happy with Clover (except for her new trick of not wanting to get on the trailer. my trainer calls it evil draft mare stubborness).
I watched the tape of our ride, and I was surprised to see that we didn't look nearly as bad as I imagined and felt. I think that towards the end of the session, Clover had reached the limit of her attention span, which is understandable, considering she's not even 5 yet. And I had her dead to the aids, because I used too-strong of an aid whenever I asked for something, which Annemarie pointed out early on in the session. She worked with us at the trot, and pointed out that I was tight through my left side, and I needed to stretch out and not shrink up. She emphasized using the outside aids for turning, and that I [still] have a tendency to overuse the inside rein—but watching the video, I don't hang on it like I used to with Vesper! So I have a ways to go, though I have improved. I still don't keep my elbows close enough to my body, because I round my shoulders a bit.
Annemarie also mentioned keeping my shoulders level with the horse's and that I could even keep my outside shoulder back while turning (?) my trainer and I puzzled over that, because usually you keep the inside shoulder back, which brings your inside seatbone forward in turns and bending, to help tell the horse how to move. The only thing that I could think of was she told me to do that to help me get weight into my left seatbone, I have a hard time using it. Mainly because I close up my left side and grip with my knee.
We worked on some canter departs and maintaining the canter towards the end of the session. I know that Clover goes hollow in her back and inverts because I tighten up so much when asking for the transition. Annemarie had me give with the inside rein, and almost have Clover's head to the outside when cantering, to keep her straighter and more balanced, and also to allow her inside hind to come through more. But the canter felt a lot more worse than it looked on the tape. But after watching it, I think we can fix it, it doesn't seem like the insurmountable obstacle that I thought it was.
I have to remember to go easier on Clover, and know how much to expect and ask of her. I have to stop being such a hard ass. Watching the clinic tape made me feel more encouraged and hopeful, and very happy with Clover (except for her new trick of not wanting to get on the trailer. my trainer calls it evil draft mare stubborness).

Comments
Post a Comment