Following the motion.

A private 1/2 hr lesson today. More work on using lighter aids, and my following the motion at the walk. Clover's head doesn't move too much at the walk, and it's hard for me to follow the motion with my elbows. I wind up staying still, and restricting her stride, and wind up with a shortened, pacey walk at times. My trainer held the reins near the bit, and had me close my eyes and try to follow her motion--I tend to take back on the motion too soon.

We did some canter work--it is getting better, especially maintaining the canter with lighter aids. I have to remember to let my heel drop "towards Clover's hind toes.", to keep me from contracting my leg and grabbing with thigh and knee.

We finished up with some trot work over ground rails, cavaletti and cross rails, letting Clover stretch forward with her head and neck, keeping leg on so she stretches, but not so much that she rushes. I did get some good feel moments out of the lesson. Good visualization for riding the canter, too.

We watched the Olympic dressage tapes that Christine lent us. My only beef is that not one entire test is shown, just interesting snippets.

Comments

Popular Posts