Down to Pig Lane

Rode down in the ring a bit with Megan on Stewie to warm up for a hack. Actually, I wanted to get Clover's attention before heading out on such a windy day. I have to remember to stick to a warm up routine and have a plan for each ride. I have to remember to get Clover tuned into the aids and follow the rein; not overuse any aid the first time I apply it and give Clover a chance to respond. I am beginning to get in tune with her pace and just let her be a drafty mover, instead of always trying to hurry her and rush her onto her forehand.

We just hacked down by Pig Lane, chatting and walking our horses. Clover had her first encounter with running water on the trail; she snorted and eyeballed it and tried to back away from it, but I encouraged her to step into it. She did, and proceeded to stomp the water with her right hoof, STOMPsplash! STOMPsplash! I walked her around and in the stream, and she was fine, except for wanting to stomp in it.

I read the new Dressage Today. I got some feelings of despair, of how clueless I am when it comes to riding every step and knowing how best to time and apply the aids. I feel like I can barely leg yield down the quarterline at the walk. I have to remember to keep building good basics in Clover and correct my old habits, and just keep trying.

Comments

Popular Posts