Letting Clover figure it out

Jumping lesson with 3 other students. 3 of us are going to King Oak, the fourth student will event later in the season. One is actually doing UNH the weekend before King Oak.

Started out on the flat, our trainer talked about having an established warm up routine at home and at events. Test the responsiveness to the aids; move haunches and shoulders in and out, establish submission, suppleness, rhythm and forwardness. Worked on leg yields on the quarterline to the track, first at the walk and then trot both ways. Clover was moving away from my leg easily, but still occasionally braces against my hand. I need to get her to consistently follow the rein!

We started off jumping with gymnastics: we'd all been intermittently walking and trotting over the poles before they were set up, then a trot pole 18' out to another trot pole 9' to a x-rail. Gradually increased to trot pole to x-rail to vertical, and then continue around to the opposite wall to a vertical-2 stride-oxer.

We then reversed direction and jumped the first gymnastic as an x-rail-bounce-vertical-2 stride-to another vertical, and around to the opposite wall vertical-2 stride-to vertical. All exersizes were done initially at the trot, then we were to keep the canter on landing after the three element gymnastic to the 2 element gymnastic on the opposite wall; for the canter the 2 element was a one stride.

Then we worked on a bit of course riding, getting leads and making turns. At the end of the lesson, we rode the 3 element x-rail-bounce-vertical-2 stride to vertical, try to land on the correct lead, turn in corner to vertical on diagonal line, land on correct lead, and turn in opposite corner to vertical-one stride to oxer. I kept getting the wrong lead after the first line, but was able to either simple change to correct lead or even maintain balance on incorrect lead. We did get the correct lead finally on that turn.

I didn't jump ahead, I'm finally getting the feel of staying back and not interfering with the jump letting Clover figure it out. We knocked down a few rails, and I had to cowboy Clover around a couple of times to make her stop being lazy. Once I got her attention, she was a star!

Comments

Popular Posts