Evening hack

Went on an evening hack with another stablemate and the QH packer I rode a few weekends ago. The Mare was either in high spirits, or cranky about being ridden at her usual dinnertime, because she jigged and pranced the entire time. I kept encouraging her to walk, and did leg yields and shoulder-fores to get her listening better. She listened, but she was behind the vertical!

So after we got back to the farm, I took her down to the ring and did some w/t/c work, since she had so much energy, and I wanted to get her in front of the bridle again. It's hard riding down there in someone else's made track in the slushy-hard snow, but we plugged away for a few minutes and finished up with some turns on the forehand. She's reluctant to move away from my right leg, like many horses, because it means they have to engage their weaker side.

Comments

Popular Posts