Winter boots

I finally rode today, all bundled up and wearing my heavy winter boots. They just barely fit into the stirrup irons. I need to get wider irons, if I fall off and my foot gets stuck, I'm fucked. Either that, or ride without stirrups all winter …

It was in the single digits with wind chill today, but the sun was out, so it wasn't too bad. Margaret and I got our horses, and did a half hour lesson, working on centerlines and controlling the shoulders and bending. Neither one of us has ridden much since daylight savings ended. It felt great to get back on Clover and put things together a little bit. She lost a nipper from the upper right hand side of her mouth, and there's an adult tooth coming in fast. She's going to be close to 5 in the spring.

I kept getting behind the motion, and the fact that I was wearing chaps over my fleece breeches didn't help. But I am catching myself quicker when I start to grip and get behind the motion, and correct it. I still have a tendency to stick my knees in the knee rolls and grip like mad, but I can fix it. “Only for landing!” is my trainer's take on knee rolls.

I had some trouble getting Clover to follow the rein without resisting—who can blame her after having some let down time? So I kept changing things: haunches in and out, shoulder fores, counterbending, being more elastic with the rein connection, moving my forearm from the elbow instead of curling my wrists in for contact. Finally, some of the stuff that my trainer's been trying to drill into my position is starting to sink in. Most of the time, though, I wonder if I'll ever get it. But I have to admit that my feel is improving, along with my seat. I'm always going to be a work in progress.

Clover seemed to dig the attention, and it was a boost for me to get out and do something challenging and positive with my horse.

Comments

Popular Posts