Visit to Tamarack Hill Farm

I got to tag along on a trip to Denny Emerson's farm in Vermont. We were looking at his stallions to breed to a mare that my trainer has been working with. I got to see a lot of great horses, and we sat down with Denny and talked with him about instructor education in Area I. I even got to meet Chad Geeter. Really nice guy.

For me, it was like going to a revival meeting. I got to see Aberjack, Mark Todd's stallion. We watched him trot halfway around his paddock, and that was enough to choose him to breed to the mare. We also saw Loyal Pal, Prussian Blue, and Reputed Testamony. I'm thinking of someday taking Clover to Prussian Blue. Or Aberjack. Or Mokhieba … the mind boggles.

It was great talking with Denny about ways to make instructor education happen in Area I, and also to hear from him many of the same riding and teaching philosophies that I've been learning about the past 8 years. It put some enthusiam back into my dragging-dreading-winter spirit. It was a real treat hanging out in the office/viewing room and see all the photos and ribbons from Denny's USET days.

*

Clover's been on a bit of a vacation. Soon I'll be getting her winter blankets mended and cleaned, and clipping her for winter riding. I'll be thinking about my goals for the winter (flatwork, gymnastics), and plan ahead for next season. We're going to be moving up to Beginner Novice Horse. But now, unfortunately, I'm feeling unmotivated.

Comments

Popular Posts