Equine Affaire

Just had one day to spend there this year, but I managed to make the most of it. Got to get around most of the vendors, bought a light all-weather sheet and a nice wool cooler with enough left over to get some fleece riding gloves.

We watched Hilda Gurney's dressage demo—seat and aids through the levels. Ann Guptill was the GP level demo rider, doing canter pirouettes and piaffe/passage. Hilda was enjoyable to watch and listen to, quick to say when a transition was terrible, but equally quick to praise a movement well done, too.

I also managed to see one of Jimmy Wofford's gymnastics/grid work demo. He was less intimidating and more personable than I imagined, with a dry/wry humor. He laid out some basic gymnastics—he said much the same stuff my trainer says in her lessons—nice to know we're all on the right track, so to speak. He also passed on a comment that one of his students said: “Riding is counterintuitive.”

Ain't that the truth!

Comments

Popular Posts