A few off steps
Went on a short hack with a large group of farm people, just a little walk-trot to the bridge and back. There were a couple of green horses out there with us; we took them over the wooden bridge and back again with no problems, everyone behaved.
Clover felt off to me, she was heavy in the left rein, wasn't filling up the right rein, and felt like she was trying to offload from the left hind. We had warmed up in the ring before hitting the trail, Clover kept trying to root the reins out of my hands, was on the forehand, and generally resistant.
Out on the trail, the rooting continued, and there were a couple of times where it felt like she took a misstep, her back felt odd under my seat. I wonder if she's coming into heat, and acting out a little with so many other horses around.
I got hit on the helmet by a low hanging branch, Clover reacted to the noise with a few crop hops. Later, when I asked her to canter, she got humpy-backed, which also makes me think she's in heat.
When we got back to the farm, I had my trainer watch us trot in both directions, but she didn't see anything wrong. Maybe Clover took those weird steps because her toes are long and she's due for a trim?
Clover felt off to me, she was heavy in the left rein, wasn't filling up the right rein, and felt like she was trying to offload from the left hind. We had warmed up in the ring before hitting the trail, Clover kept trying to root the reins out of my hands, was on the forehand, and generally resistant.
Out on the trail, the rooting continued, and there were a couple of times where it felt like she took a misstep, her back felt odd under my seat. I wonder if she's coming into heat, and acting out a little with so many other horses around.
I got hit on the helmet by a low hanging branch, Clover reacted to the noise with a few crop hops. Later, when I asked her to canter, she got humpy-backed, which also makes me think she's in heat.
When we got back to the farm, I had my trainer watch us trot in both directions, but she didn't see anything wrong. Maybe Clover took those weird steps because her toes are long and she's due for a trim?

Comments
Post a Comment