Groomed at King Oak, etc.
Let's see...last Friday, packed up and left for King Oak with my trainer and her star student (and that's said with admiration, not sarcasm). Spent all day Saturday fending off black flies and rain, catching various loose horses, and cheering on the aforementioned student as she won the beginner novice horse division. She finished on her very decent dressage score. This is her second win in a row; she works hard, and it pays off.
Saturday evening, pack up again, head home (loooooong drive from Southhampton to Strafford), Sunday head out with two of the younger students to the Applehurst 3 phase. Lord, I don't know why, but I gave up going to the IHRA North American Nationals at nearby New England Dragway in order to help out and cheer for the students...to top it off, I could hear the burnouts and racing all day. But the kids had a good day; both of them put in excellent dressage tests and did ok-to-pretty-good on cross-country, and well over stadium. Hey, better thank I did--they pinned in their respective divisions.
Monday the amazing chiropractor/acupuncturist came and checked out Clover and pronounced her in excellent shape and well-balanced, not needing any chiropractic work or acupuncture. I was curious, not knowing anything about the mare's past, other than that she took a very long trailer ride from out west, and has scar tissue across the front of her left hind pastern. Not only did I save a chunk of change, but Clover got a clean bill of health as far as her meridians and skeletal structure go.
Tonight I longed Clover in side reins--the first work I've done since last Thursday's stadium schooling. I've been feeling wiped out and unmotivated since the busy weekend, but I don't worry about it too much, since she's a young horse and all (that excuse will only work for so long; eventually she'll be a fat five-year-old in need of schooling). She's stronger, carries herself better in the canter; going to the right is still harder for her as she dives on to her forehand, which is understandable since she's currently an inch higher at the croup than at the withers...hope she levels out soon. But the big thing I noticed is that she's carrying herself more and better balanced--no motorcycle turns.
I didn't get into Wentworth dressage. I got a call last night from the organizer, who offered to hang on to my entry in case a spot opened up. I told her I'd be willing to ride any of the training level tests if anything opened up. I originally signed up for walk/trot 2 and training 1; I could very well wind up in training 4, ha ha.
I still haven't heard if we got into Pipestave or not. I don't think they send the ride times until 9/30. I also entered the Senator Bell schooling 3 phase on 10/15; supposedly there's still room in the w/t 2" division
Yeah, I know this is a boring as hell online diary, but I'm using it as a training log of sorts, to keep track of me and Clover's progress.
Saturday evening, pack up again, head home (loooooong drive from Southhampton to Strafford), Sunday head out with two of the younger students to the Applehurst 3 phase. Lord, I don't know why, but I gave up going to the IHRA North American Nationals at nearby New England Dragway in order to help out and cheer for the students...to top it off, I could hear the burnouts and racing all day. But the kids had a good day; both of them put in excellent dressage tests and did ok-to-pretty-good on cross-country, and well over stadium. Hey, better thank I did--they pinned in their respective divisions.
Monday the amazing chiropractor/acupuncturist came and checked out Clover and pronounced her in excellent shape and well-balanced, not needing any chiropractic work or acupuncture. I was curious, not knowing anything about the mare's past, other than that she took a very long trailer ride from out west, and has scar tissue across the front of her left hind pastern. Not only did I save a chunk of change, but Clover got a clean bill of health as far as her meridians and skeletal structure go.
Tonight I longed Clover in side reins--the first work I've done since last Thursday's stadium schooling. I've been feeling wiped out and unmotivated since the busy weekend, but I don't worry about it too much, since she's a young horse and all (that excuse will only work for so long; eventually she'll be a fat five-year-old in need of schooling). She's stronger, carries herself better in the canter; going to the right is still harder for her as she dives on to her forehand, which is understandable since she's currently an inch higher at the croup than at the withers...hope she levels out soon. But the big thing I noticed is that she's carrying herself more and better balanced--no motorcycle turns.
I didn't get into Wentworth dressage. I got a call last night from the organizer, who offered to hang on to my entry in case a spot opened up. I told her I'd be willing to ride any of the training level tests if anything opened up. I originally signed up for walk/trot 2 and training 1; I could very well wind up in training 4, ha ha.
I still haven't heard if we got into Pipestave or not. I don't think they send the ride times until 9/30. I also entered the Senator Bell schooling 3 phase on 10/15; supposedly there's still room in the w/t 2" division
Yeah, I know this is a boring as hell online diary, but I'm using it as a training log of sorts, to keep track of me and Clover's progress.

Comments
Post a Comment