Catching up
Been having some good dressage lessons this past Saturday and the one before. Better able to maintain contact, keep patience, and ride more forward without nagging with the leg aids so much. Riding with two dressage whips helps. Canter departs–sit, two, canter!–are getting more refined; down transitions and halts need more work. Less bracing with arms and hands, more preparation by stretching body up and down and just stop following with the seat.
More half-halts all around.
Also did some jump gymnastics this past Saturday: left shoulder held too high and stiffly, elbow and hand too far forward–maybe due to/contributing to heaviness in left rein. Still jumping ahead and/or missing the distance entirely.
School x-c at Green Acres again today. Did the drop for the first time–it was great! Sit back, let the reins slip, and fly. Clover still is slightly herd-bound, she prefers to hang out with her buddies, but she is all business when we are heading to a jump.
I got to see the video from the session. I’m still jumping waaaay too much ahead and then sitting back in the saddle too soon, before Clover lands. I have to fix that asap, that little habit is a recipe for disaster when the fences get higher and the questions more technical.
I still grip with my knees, but the lower leg has improved and I’m buttsucking less, so there’s some improvement. But so far to go.
Sent in entries for the next Pipestave, and Wentworth dressage.
More half-halts all around.
Also did some jump gymnastics this past Saturday: left shoulder held too high and stiffly, elbow and hand too far forward–maybe due to/contributing to heaviness in left rein. Still jumping ahead and/or missing the distance entirely.
School x-c at Green Acres again today. Did the drop for the first time–it was great! Sit back, let the reins slip, and fly. Clover still is slightly herd-bound, she prefers to hang out with her buddies, but she is all business when we are heading to a jump.
I got to see the video from the session. I’m still jumping waaaay too much ahead and then sitting back in the saddle too soon, before Clover lands. I have to fix that asap, that little habit is a recipe for disaster when the fences get higher and the questions more technical.
I still grip with my knees, but the lower leg has improved and I’m buttsucking less, so there’s some improvement. But so far to go.
Sent in entries for the next Pipestave, and Wentworth dressage.

Comments
Post a Comment