Speaking of.
I'd been outside all day, and worked hard during my lesson with Clover. It just occurred to me that, even though she may just plunk over the cavaletti, she never bobbled or wavered on the approach ... not snakey or balky like Bobby and other horses of that ilk. Ok, so maybe there wasn't so much of a takeoff at times after the straight approach, but at least we were consistently getting over the jumps.
Apparently I also need to spare the rod a bit more. I'm still hyperreactive, and it backfired on me during the lesson. I'm so wound up about getting Clover to be forward on her own energy, that I crack-crack with the whip too hard and too often, to the point where Clover would respond to the leg-whip aids with crow hops. I had to back up a few steps in the process and just reward Clover like crazy for going forward without the crankiness, then ride on. Next time will be better.
The past few lessons have brought more a-ha moments and clearer understanding of riding theory that my trainer's been trying to instill in my body memory, since my brain already does have a good grasp of it. Things like staying in front of the horse's motion, and seat/torso position and arm/hand position and their effect on the rein aids. The right side of my body gets all ganked up, so when I do bring my right shoulder, arm and hand into the correct position, it feels like it's miles behind the left. But there's been steady improvement, which is amazing considering I only ride once every/other week.
I warmed up for the lesson by longing Clover in the sliding side reins, and shortened them a hole at my trainer's suggestion. I think Clover was a bit baffled by the sensation of steady contact on her mouth, but she didn't lose forward motion like she did the first time I longed her in sidereins. I even rode the first part of the lesson with them still attached to the bit, and now that I think about it, there wasn't too much head fussiness or resistance to the flexion in the poll that the reins helped to maintain. Even after we detached them, Clover didn't come up against the bit, her head popping or her back dropping out from underneath me like I half expected to happen. Encouraging developments! Steering is coming along well, though I have trouble controlling the shoulder on the outside in any given direction, mainly because of my position, which is equally off in any given direction.
Overall, I'm encouraged and pleased by our progress, especially by Clover's response to my sometimes fumbling attempts at learning how to train a horse from scratch. I know everyone says this about their horse/dog/kid, but I will, too: Clover IS a smart horse! Right now I'm just basking in the happy feelings I get when I think about what we've been doing since last July, and what we're going to be doing in the not too distant future. The milder weather has us all excited about the upcoming event season, and for me, the seasons to come. It's infectious.
Apparently I also need to spare the rod a bit more. I'm still hyperreactive, and it backfired on me during the lesson. I'm so wound up about getting Clover to be forward on her own energy, that I crack-crack with the whip too hard and too often, to the point where Clover would respond to the leg-whip aids with crow hops. I had to back up a few steps in the process and just reward Clover like crazy for going forward without the crankiness, then ride on. Next time will be better.
The past few lessons have brought more a-ha moments and clearer understanding of riding theory that my trainer's been trying to instill in my body memory, since my brain already does have a good grasp of it. Things like staying in front of the horse's motion, and seat/torso position and arm/hand position and their effect on the rein aids. The right side of my body gets all ganked up, so when I do bring my right shoulder, arm and hand into the correct position, it feels like it's miles behind the left. But there's been steady improvement, which is amazing considering I only ride once every/other week.
I warmed up for the lesson by longing Clover in the sliding side reins, and shortened them a hole at my trainer's suggestion. I think Clover was a bit baffled by the sensation of steady contact on her mouth, but she didn't lose forward motion like she did the first time I longed her in sidereins. I even rode the first part of the lesson with them still attached to the bit, and now that I think about it, there wasn't too much head fussiness or resistance to the flexion in the poll that the reins helped to maintain. Even after we detached them, Clover didn't come up against the bit, her head popping or her back dropping out from underneath me like I half expected to happen. Encouraging developments! Steering is coming along well, though I have trouble controlling the shoulder on the outside in any given direction, mainly because of my position, which is equally off in any given direction.
Overall, I'm encouraged and pleased by our progress, especially by Clover's response to my sometimes fumbling attempts at learning how to train a horse from scratch. I know everyone says this about their horse/dog/kid, but I will, too: Clover IS a smart horse! Right now I'm just basking in the happy feelings I get when I think about what we've been doing since last July, and what we're going to be doing in the not too distant future. The milder weather has us all excited about the upcoming event season, and for me, the seasons to come. It's infectious.

Comments
Post a Comment